Paul Steven wrote:

> Is it a bad idea to use the "Tab" key as a game control. Basically in a
> crossword game I am creating, I was going to use "TAB" to move to the next
> word and "SHIFT TAB" to move to the previous word. I notice however that
> when I press the TAB key all the buttons on my game screen are appearing
> with yellow boxes around them. I assume this is some kind of accessibility
> thing?

Yes, it is an accessibility issue. People with compromised muscle control
use the tab key to navigate to buttons, URLs, etc.

I've built accessible programs a lot in the past, and I've disabled the
auto-tab feature. The programs I've written have been tailored to work with
specific hardware tools like switches and programmable flat-panel keyboard
substitutes.

If you're not building alternate accessibility features, though, you might
be in a bind. Tab is the way most people navigate crosswords, but I've done
crossword games where you can click on the clue or in a blank space in the
puzzle.

On the other hand, you might be able to get away with disabling Tab. There
are other Web tools, like Shockwave, that don't implement Tab for
accessibility. However, I'm not an expert on current accessibility
requirements. I would recommend you find out more about what the law (and
your client) require. Others on this list, and on Flash Tiger, can probably
help you with that.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson