Thanks Leandro. I took an initial look at this, but got scared off by the fact that this is going to make mouseUp/Down/Enter/Leave and click detection really complicated, much more complicated than anything I've ever had to deal with before. There will be follow-up questions, but first I need to start a new thread.

Leandro Ferreira wrote:
BitmapData.hitTest:
http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/main/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?context=LiveDocs_Parts&file=00001410.html

  Leandro Ferreira