I'm using fileStream to save a text file. This works OK, but introduces
some strange characters at the beginning of the saved text.
I'm saving XML data. I've kept this as an XML object and also converted
it to string -- same thing always happens.

Any idea how I can get rid of these characters?

Thanks,

This is what I end up with (note the 'g at the beginning) :

'g<order>
  <item id="1">
    <menuName>burger</menuName>
    <price>3.95</price>
  </item>
  <item id="2">
    <menuName>fries</menuName>
    <price>1.45</price>
  </item>
</order>

This is the Flex 3 code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<mx:WindowedApplication xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";
layout="absolute" activate="createXML()">
<mx:Script>
 <![CDATA[
  import flash.events.Event;
  import flash.filesystem.*;

  public function createXML():void
  {
   x1 = <order>
          <!--This is a comment. -->
          <?PROC_INSTR sample ?>
          <item id='1'>
             <menuName>burger</menuName>
              <price>3.95</price>
          </item>
          <item id='2'>
              <menuName>fries</menuName>
              <price>1.45</price>
          </item>
      </order>
  }

  public  var file:File;

  public  function saveToFile() :void
  {
   file = new File("/filename.xml");
   file.addEventListener(Event.SELECT, dirSelected);
   file.browseForSave('');
  }

  public  function dirSelected(e:Event) :void
  {
   // this object will get saved to the file
   var dat:String = new String;
   var str:String = new String;
   str = x1.toXMLString();
   dat = str;
   var fileStream:FileStream = new FileStream();
   fileStream.open(file, FileMode.WRITE);
   fileStream.writeObject(dat);
   fileStream.close();
  }

 ]]>
</mx:Script>

 <mx:Button x="102" y="320" label="Save XML" click="saveToFile()"/>
 <mx:XML id="x1" format="e4x"/>

</mx:WindowedApplication>

This email was sent by a company owned by Pearson plc, registered office at 80
Strand, London WC2R 0RL.
Registered in England and Wales with company number 53723