Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> Using AS2.
> When is it best to use the :Void ? and what is the difference between
> that and :void ?

You use void when a function doesn't return anything. In fact, there are
some languages, like Pascal and, I believe, Fortran, that have that built
in. In Pascal, a function returns something, while a procedure doesn't. A
Pascal programmer would use a function to do something like perform a
calculation--let's say, figure the square root of a number. A procedure
would do something like drawing a line.

Void is AS2, and void is AS3. I have no idea why the spelling change, but
ActionScript is, of course, case sensitive.

> What are the advantages and why use them if say, your function works
> without them?

Clarity, mainly. Also, in AS3, if you have strict type checking on (it's the
default), every function must have a type, so you use void when your
function won't return anything. If you declare a function as :void, and have
a return in it, I believe the compiler throws an error.

> I know that the Void is a Boolean, but I also know you cant use it
> when the statement returns something.
> Does this "return" include any of the basics like gotoAndPlay? or
> does it literally mean a return();

Void actually isn't a Boolean. Technically, its value is undefined. AFAIK,
:void can only be used as the return type of a function. You can't declare a
variable as void.

Down on the nuts and bolts level, every function is a subroutine. You call
it, and it returns control to the calling object. So every function returns;
some pass a value back, and some don't.

HTH.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson