I went for bulkloader over making my own queued loader - as it has so many tested features. Here is a little code to help get you started ( if you need it )...

Instantiate the loader...

<code>
// New Bulk Loader
imgLoader               = new BulkLoader( 'NameOfLoaderInstance');
imgLoader.addEventListener(BulkLoader.COMPLETE, AllItemsLoaded , false , 0 , true );
</code>

Load images:

<code>
// Clear the loader of any previously loaded images
imgLoader.removeAll();

// Add all the images to the loading queue
for ( var i : int = 0 ; i < _data.length ; i ++ ){

        var record      : Object                = _data.getItemAt( i );

        var item        : LoadingItem   = imgLoader.add( record['uri'] );
item.addEventListener( Event.COMPLETE , completeHandler , false , 0 , true ); item.addEventListener( ProgressEvent.PROGRESS , progressHandler , false , 0 , true );

}

// start loading - one item at a item - this will load images in the order you added them
imgLoader.start( 1 );

</code>

Image Loaded Event Handler:

<code>

private function completeHandler( e : Event ) : void {

        //----------------------------------------
        // remove event listeners and reference the bitmap
        var item:LoadingItem            = e.target as LoadingItem;
                item.removeEventListener( Event.COMPLETE , completeHandler );
                item.removeEventListener( ProgressEvent.PROGRESS,
progressHandler );

        var sURL : String                       = item.url.url;

        var record : Object             = getRecordByKey( sURL, 'uri' );
                record.loadid           = sURL;

    view.addImage( imgLoader.getBitmap( record.loadid ) , record );
}

</code>

hope this helps...

Regards