Because counter is a class property and your function is static.

Try this:

public static var counter:int = 0;

> From: Isaac Alves <isaacal...@gmail.com>
> Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 16:23:36 -0300
> To: <flashcoders@chattyfig.figleaf.com>
> Subject: [Flashcoders] 1120: Access of undefined property
>
> could someone please tell me why in the following script , the flash
> runtime doesn´t recognize the var counter?
> 1120: Access of undefined property counter.
>
> package
> {
>   public class StringUtils
>   {
> public var counter:int = 0;
>
>     public static function generateRandomString(newLength:uint = 1,
> userAlphabet:String =
> "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789"):String
> {
> trace (counter);

This e-mail is intended only for the named person or entity to which it is
addressed and contains valuable
business information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or
otherwise protected from disclosure.

If you received this e-mail in error, any review, use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail
is strictly prohibited. Please notify us immediately of the error via e-mail to
disclai...@tbwachiat.com and
please delete the e-mail from your system, retaining no copies in any media. We
appreciate your cooperation.