From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Juan Pablo
Califano
Sent: Thursday, October 01, 2009 6:35 AM
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] [MEMORY LEAK]

Every time it reloads
however, I watch firefox take away memory consistently and when I refresh
that page memory use drops back to normal.

First and most important, are you sure it's leak? The fact that Firefox (not
even the player itself) doesn't release memory right away doesn't mean
there's a leak. At all.

Sorry for the self reference, but a while ago I answered a question in
stackoverflow about an alleged memory leak.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1020146/why-sytem-totalmemory-keeps-incre
asing/1022648#1022648.
Perhaps it helps to get my point across.

Looking at Qindows manager or System.totalMemory is probably the worst
possible way to detect a leak, given how the player works. You'll get tons
of false positives and the info is rather useless anyway.

What has been of great help, at least for me, is using Flex Builder's
profiler. It lets you inspect objects in memory, force a gc, etc. Plus, if
you do find a leak, you can trace where the leaked object has been
allocated. A simple test for your scenario would be taking a snapshot before
take another snapshot. Then you can compare memory at those points and be in
a better position to determine if there's a leak, and, in that case, what
could be causing it.

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano