Hi
I don't think the regex is wrong. In fact, if you change uFFFF for a smaller
number, it works fine.

I have not tested each code point, mind you, but with a few tries, the
highest max range that works that I could find is 0xFEFF.

The range 0xFF00 - 0xFFFF apparently is reserved for control stuff. So
0xFEFF is the last value before that range. Not sure if the way the regex
behaves is a bug or a feature, really, but you can probably get by with
something like this:

var testIsArabic:Boolean = /[\u0627-\ufeff]/.test(str.charAt(0));

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano