On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:48 AM, Glen Pike <g...@engineeredarts.co.uk>wrote:

> I doubt this would really catch on because FlashPlayer is client side and
> MySQL is server side - you would normally talk to your webserver with Flash
> and get server side code to do the MySQL work.

Does Flash *have* to be client side or is this just a built-in prejudice
from a history of having been such? That is, what's the harm of redefining
Flash's purpose?

> Saying that, you could write your own AS3 MySQL engine and connect directly
> to port 3306, or alternatively use someone else's AS3-MySQL engine but they
> are usually not "complete" or mature like libs for PHP, Python, etc. etc.
>
> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q=as3+mysql

Yeah, I'm not ready to do that just now. I was just thinking about my
shopping cart and how cool it would be to rewrite at least the pages that
the end user sees in AS3. But that would require a MySQL engine. Well, how
hard would it be? Tell me...
beno