thanks for all of the help... I did resolve it by taking the functions out of
the other functions... and creating the sprite at the root (outside of the
functions)

From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of tom rhodes
[tom.rho...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 10:50 AM
To: Flash Coders List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] Finding and Removing a Sprite

you could also make createBar return a reference to the sprite...

function createBar(dfile:String):Sprite {
       mySprite = new Sprite();
       // do stuff
       addChild(mySprite);
       return mySprite;
}

var mySprite:Sprite = createBar("string");

then you can remove it using your stored reference to the sprite...

function blah():void
{
     removeChild(mySprite);
}