My file has two scenes. See code below. Originally the Mouse Events were MouseEvent.CLICK and they worked fine.

Scene 1
Frame 1

stop();

playScene2_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER, playScene2);

function playScene2(evt:Event)
{
        gotoAndPlay(1, "Scene 2");
}

Scene 2
Frame 1

gotoScene1_btn.addEventListener(MouseEvent.CLICK, gotoScene1);

function gotoScene1(evt:Event)
{
        gotoAndStop(1, "Scene 1");
}