You can use multiple TextFormat object in one text field affecting different
parts of the text. I think most people think that its more hassle that way
than using htmlText.

TextField.setTextFormat( format:Textformat, beginIndex:int = -1,
endIndex:int = -1 ) :void

Ktu
<http://help.adobe.com/en_US/AS3LCR/Flash_10.0/specialTypes.html#void>