Thanks Juan..
That is much cleaner.
Thank you also for the AS3 conversion.
That helps me understand just a little more about AS3.

Best,

Karl

On Jun 15, 2010, at 9:56 PM, Juan Pablo Califano wrote:

It seems like you don't really need to bother about gaining or losing focus
here. Just listening to the change event will do the job and you could
remove the enter_frame.

commentxt_mc.onChanged = function(tf:TextField):Void {
       var numChar:Number = 650 - tf.length;
       if (numChar == 0) {
               maxChar = "Max Characters Reached";
       } else {
maxChar = "Max Char: " + numChar.toString(); //Have another
text box with the var maxChar to display the results while typing.
       }
};

The equivalent in AS 3.0 is very similar, though a bit more verbose (as
usual!):

commentxt_mc.addEventListener(Event.CHANGE,handleTextChange);

function handleTextChange(e:Event):void {
var tf:TextField = e.target as TextField;
if(!tf) {
return;
}
var numChar:Number = 650 - tf.length;
var maxChar:String = "";
if (numChar == 0) {
maxChar = "Max Characters Reached";
} else {
maxChar = "Max Char: " + numChar.toString(); //Have another text box with
the var maxChar to display the results while typing.

Cheers
Juan Pablo Califano