Hi JC,
I was speaking of my code I had a while ago and it was also in AS2,
but I had something like..

var newArray:Array = new Array();

and had to switch it to..

var newArray = new Array();

for it to work at all.
May have been something in my code somewhere else
that didn't like that strong typing of the array.
Not completely sure why that worked, was just glad it worked finally after staring at it for many hrs. :)
I did not test your code though, sry. Merely a suggestion to try.

Karl