A bitmap either has transparency or it doesn't; you need to set the alpha flag
to true or you cannot get transparency data.

Another thought would be blend modes - screen the flame w/black bg on your
image and draw() the result.
I know that doesn't answer your q but it will give you the intended result if
you're not able to get any further.

Sent from my iPhone