I think you are expecting too much, it's a mailing-list. Discussion boards and similar systems doesn't invite to saying thanks.

I am not against it, but personally, I find saying thank you to be a bit like noise. It's not very important, but it's nice I suppose.

Then again, I don't want to be thanked, I want to share knowledge. Sure, it's definitively nice if I get a reputation, but I don't do it for the reputation. I do it because I want to help people.

I guess I am not just big on manners. I focus on actions instead. Not answering my questions hurts me far more than not saying thank you.