Have you tried smoothing on the sparkle thing?
Is it a bitmap? Might help..

Sounds like the alpha on the sparkle isn't staying alpha and reverting to black,
basically showing the edge of the sparkle that should be transparent?
But I am somewhat guessing.. :)
Can you post a page for us to see?

Best,
Karl