Kevin Newman wrote:

> A long while ago I read that the constructor is interpreted, unlike the rest
> of the class methods, which are compiled. Is that still true?

It depends on what you mean by compiled. All your ActionScript
compiles down to bytecode, or tokens, that are interpreted at run
time. The native classes and all their methods (e.g. MovieClip) are
actually compiled to machine code, which can run many times faster
than bytecode.

I don't think anything, including a constructor, is actually
interpreted a character at a time like old-time interpreters (e.g.
Applesoft Basic in the late '70s). I'm not sure if a constructor is
handled any differently than the rest of the code, but I don't know
everything that happens under the hood. Somebody will correct me if
I'm wrong.

Cordially,

Kerry Thompson