Hi everyone,

I would really appreciate if you could point me in the right direction for
this one.

We're building an AIR for Android app which is basically a collection of 20
elearning "scenarios". Each scenario is a sequence of activities that uses
assets such as XML, MP3, JPG and F4V files. There would probably be about 70
files used in a scenario. The files sit on a server somewhere to be called
on by the app.

The current model of the app downloads the files as they're needed. ie,
whenever the user starts a new activity in a scenario, their phone would
have to be connected to the internet to load those (sometimes large) files.
Needless to say, this could get quite annoying if you were using the app on
a train, then got stuck in a tunnel for an hour (which ironically would be
the perfect time to use the app, what with all that time to kill).

So we thought it would be a better idea to download all the assets required
for a scenario, store them on the phone, then have the app read them from
local storage. That way, you could get it set up the night before over wifi
or something.

So these are my questions:

1) What approach would you take for packaging up the files? For example,
would you have them in a zip file, which the user downloads, and the app
somehow extracts dynamically? (If so, how would you do this please?)

2) Are there any steps we can take to protect our files from
discovery/redistribution? As a language learning company, my work is
somewhat anxious about users being able to just mount the drive and pass the
files on to all and sundry. The content is where most of the budget goes,
what with the writing, filming, recording etc. If there is no way to protect
the files, I imagine we will have to stick with the current model of
downloading files as needed.

Thanks very much for any help,

CB.