Hi Cor,
I think it is because information added to a database is usually escaped, so when you pull it out, you get the escaped string instead of what you originally typed. Most, not all php coders, will put the string through something like mysql_real_escape_string() before inserting it into the database which will produce the exact results your getting. If you apply one of the following functions to the information once pulled out, it should work.

You could try..

$String = htmlspecialchars_decode($string, ENT_QUOTES);

or

$String = html_entity_decode($string, ENT_QUOTES, 'UTF-8');

(There are also different options for the second and third parameters.
ENT_QUOTES and 'UTF-8' can be changed to your suiting depending
on what style of quoting or character set you need. But for what your needing, I think ENT_QUOTES is right. It will return "<p>" instead of &quote;&lt;p&gt;&quote; (that is what ENT_NOQUOTES does).)

I suggest these links if you want to learn more about what's going on with these to see if they are a fit.

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.htmlspecialchars-decode.php

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.html-entity-decode.php

Also, if you find it still not working, use one of the above functions, but then try putting the return $String text inside a CDATA [].

HTH,

Best,
Karl