Well then wouldn't..

var str:String = e.target.data;

work?

Karl

On Oct 8, 2011, at 2:31 AM, Ross Sclafani wrote:

Has to be.

Ross P. Sclafani
Design | Technology | Creative
347.204.5714
http://ross.sclafani.net
http://www.twitter.com/rosssclafani

On Oct 8, 2011, at 3:25 AM, "Cor" <c...@chello.nl> wrote:

var str:String = String(e.target.data);

without new?

-----Original Message-----
From: flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com
[mailto:flashcoders-boun...@chattyfig.figleaf.com] On Behalf Of Karl
DeSaulniers
Sent: zaterdag 8 oktober 2011 2:44
To: Flash List
Subject: Re: [Flashcoders] can't get e.target.data

Maybe set it to a var first?

var data:String = e.target.data;
var str:String = new String(data);

HTH,

Karl

On Oct 7, 2011, at 2:23 PM, John Polk wrote:

Here's a code snippet:
          var req:URLRequest = new URLRequest(siteUrl + "store/
flash_store2.py?id=" + id + "&pkg=" + pkgID);
          /*
          var variables:URLVariables = new URLVariables();
          loader.dataFormat = URLLoaderDataFormat.VARIABLES;
          req.method = URLRequestMethod.POST;
          variables.pkg = pkgID;
          variables.id = id;
          req.data = variables;
          */
          loader.load(req);
          loader.addEventListener(Event.COMPLETE, onSendComplete);
      }

      private function onSendComplete(e:Event):void
      {
          var txt:TextField = new TextField();
          var myFormat:TextFormat = new TextFormat();
          myFormat.font = "Arial";
          myFormat.size = 5;
          var str:String = new String(e.target.data);

First up, I find I have to often bypass URLVariables because it simply
doesn't work, as is the case here. But the real problem is
thus:
1) When I test this on my Mac, calling the data from my server,
everything works fine.
2) When I test this on my server, calling the page TTW, everything
works fine if "id" has a value and "pkg" does not.
3) When I test my python script that generates the data on my server
passing a value only for "pkg", everything displays fine; however;
4) When I test this on my server, calling the page TTW with no value
for "id" and a value for "pkg", e.target.data only serves up this
string "->->" which is incomprehensible to me.
How do I trouble-shoot this?
TIA,
John

Karl DeSaulniers