If you're going the java route, look into GWT and SmartGWT.

http://code.google.com/intl/en/webtoolkit/
http://gwt.google.com/samples/Showcase/Showcase.html

http://code.google.com/p/smartgwt/
http://www.smartclient.com/smartgwtee/showcase/#main

Well Glen you kidda open the door so let me ask:

Can a guy with decent OOP knowledge, not great but decent. Who has a passion for AS3 but is not a graphic person make a modest, modest income off the Internet these days without HTML5.

Let's add to that equation the passion for learning new languages.

My plan was to nail down AS3, and make a transition to Java.

Thanks ahead for any advice. I know the conventional wisdom is to make a transition but not sure.