I'm working on a game with some large images (up to 4k x 4k)

The pngs with alpha channels come out at 5-10MB each and we need to put a
few large ones and many smaller ones in the game.

jpeg-xr would do the job, but we are targetting Flash 10

This blog shows how to combine a jpeg with a png alpha mask to get file
sizes down, but it is for HTML5, although they were able to use a flash
converter successfully:
http://blog.jackadam.net/2010/alpha-jpegs/

Is a PNG transparency mask the best way to go, or are there other options
to get the file size down?

I've found one set of code here:
http://www.actionscript.org/forums/showthread.php3?s=9629c531325d52cdececd6ebf1f27a61&t=215886&page=2
I thought I should check here before using it, as we're going to need to do
a lot of these...

Thanks,

Ben