Op 27-6-2011 15:24, Jonathan A. Kollasch schreef:
Unless it's on a simulator like SimNow! where the flash chip may be
accurately emulated, flashrom will never detect a chip, and thus will be
as useful as it could possibly be in a emulator/virtual machine.

I've only got some experience with VMware Workstation and not much
else with others, but how should a FlashROM that's being run in an
emulator react?
Like it already does.

Current behaviour is choking on chipset detection and bailing out if I remember correctly.

I was under the assumption the goal of Flashrom is to be able to read/erase/write firmware whenever possible.
On real machines the method is dealing with finding chipsets and eeproms.
On virtual machines this method will fail, as will the goals of writing and erasing. However the goal of reading should still be possible, even though I admit there's little merit to it.