First of all, you are using an old version of flashrom, which you
probably got from your Linux distro's repository. Please get the
latest one: clone the official flashrom repository, install the
dependencies listed at Downloads / Installation from source page at
flashrom wiki, and run "make" - it is really simple and fast.

T25S40 chip doesn't seem to be supported by flashrom, but you could
try force flashing it like another chip (would need some source code
modifications). Some people suggested that T25S40 is similar to N25S40
which is supported by flashrom, but I don't know if it's really so.