On 09.05.22 06:31, Felix Singer wrote:
> On Sat, 2022-05-07 at 14:39 +0200, Nico Huber wrote:
>> On 06.05.22 03:52, Anastasia Klimchuk wrote:
>>> There are several questions raised in this thread, but good news is
>>> that at the meeting yesterday one of the questions was decided on!
>>>
>>> We decided to have a Reviewers group for flashrom.
>>
>> Technically the attendees agreed on it. Which is a kind of a random
>> selection of people.
>
> I wouldn't call these people "a random selection of people". Looking at
> the flashrom developers group, these are the ones who are most active
> in the project.

Thomas and Nikolai were there. It feels like I could find somebody
more active who didn't attend for most if not all the other attendees.

> Angel didn't attend the meeting and though he noticed
> the related commit which does the change [1]. So it's not like people
> are unable to notice it.

That change[1] is mostly unrelated to what was discussed, though. And
doesn't link to anything.

> What wouldn't be a random selection of people? Who are the right people
> if not the active ones?

All people interested. At least those that are registered to the mailing
list to take part.

>> I would prefer if topics that ask for a decision get their own
>> mailing list thread. Not that I expect anyone to object, but it still
>> would be nice to give busy people a chance to notice it. A little
>> courtesy can't hurt, can it?
>

> How much courtesy does it need to make a decision?

I don't know. One email with a fitting subject line shouldn't be too
much to ask for, IMO.

> Who else do you expect to reply?

Depends on the contents of the email.

> Seriously, this thread has been on the mailing list for two months now.
> If the subject of the thread ("Gatekeeping, ACLs and Review Rules") is
> not eye-catching enough, well.. Then I don't know. I think people had
> enough time to read and comment.

Did you? Suddenly you seem concerned about the topic... IMO, it's not
that you did anything wrong. That thread was meant to discuss the whole
working-together-on-Gerrit topic. Now somebody picked something useful
out of it and asked for a decision. That's two different things and it's
only natural, IMHO, that more people get more involved with the latter.

> I can't see that anyone in this thread
> is objecting on this specific topic.

Pretty much expected as the thread wasn't about making any final
decision.

> Then, it was a topic on the meeting agenda, which is public viewable,

Can't see it, must have missed it. It's much easier to miss than
emails with proper subject.

> and it was discussed there. No one objected. Neither before, during the
> meeting nor after the meeting.

IIRC, we decided (first meeting?) to keep using the mailing list for
decisions. If I'd have to expect things to be set in stone if I don't
object during the meeting I would have to object to everything that
takes me by surprise. I've seen such behavior and I don't think it
would make productive meetings.

> And finally, I also sent an email with the meeting notes (agenda +
> notes + a somewhat summary of the meeting) to the mailing list. The
> summary is on the top of the mail and contains "We want a separate
> reviewers group for flashrom so that reviewers are not mixed across
> different projects". No one objected.

Yes, but it doesn't say much more than this. And I still agree with it.
What it doesn't say: We'd take immediate action. Without any plan btw.

> I think everyone had enough chances to comment and to object, but
> instead only the same people reply. So why should we wait and use more
> time on this? The time can be used better elsewhere.

What chances? It's completely different to discuss the possibility of
something or to say we want to do it now. Especially when there are
unanswered questions. Like who is going to be in that group? how can
people get their +2 rights back that they lose this way?

> To answer your question: Actually, I think it can hurt. For example,
> when it slows down or even blocks a decision for an unknown reason.
> This hurts a lot.

If it's a stupid decision, slowing down would be a good thing, wouldn't
it?

Nico