# 25th Aug 2022, 6:00 - 7:00 UTC+0

Attendees: Alex, Felix, Evan, Anastasia, Edward

## Decisions Summary

* A link pointing to the meeting will be added on the Contacts page.
* We want to discuss the minimum required versions of our (build-
)dependencies. We don’t want ifdefs checking for library versions in
the code. When a programmer doesn’t support a library version, the
build system should not enable it.

## Agenda

* [aklm] Are there any objections if I will add info about this meeting
on the Contacts page?
    * Clarify this is NOT a support forum, not a troubleshooting forum
* [Felix] Rework the flash chips database / minimize the compiled
version of flashchips.c in size
    * In most cases, embedded applications only need a small selection
of the available flash chips. If we are able to shrink it somehow, this
could free useful space for other applications or use cases.
    * One approach: Currently, flash chips are grouped by vendors. So
add compiler flags enabling or disabling these.
    * Another approach: Rework the way flash chips are organized.
        * flashchips.c is pretty inflexible and it’s complicated to get
this in a format so that flash chips can be listed on the website.
        * Thus, store flash chips in an JSON file (may be any other
format), which opens lots of possibilities.
        * The website could just use the JSON and list the data. For
flashrom itself, we could write a little script (and add this to the
build system) which converts the JSON data to C code. This way, we also
could filter for specific flash chip characteristics (protocols,
vendor, name, …), in case only a group or some specific chips are
wanted.
        * Another advantage: We could add an API to (lib-)flashrom so
that the user can use their own JSON file and so the user can add new
(or change) flash chips without recompiling flashrom very easily. So
flash chips can be compiled into flashrom but they also can be loaded
using the JSON format.
    * Edward: there are patches for review
[https://review.coreboot.org/q/topic:declarative_flashchips.c_complete](https://review.coreboot.org/q/topic:declarative_flashchips.c_complete)
* [Felix/Thomas] We should define minimum required versions of
libraries and (build-)dependencies
    *
[https://review.coreboot.org/c/flashrom/+/65919](https://review.coreboot.org/c/flashrom/+/65919)
    * Created a sheet to collect the versions
    *
[https://review.coreboot.org/c/flashrom/+/66436](https://review.coreboot.org/c/flashrom/+/66436)
    * If defs is not great
    * If someone is using such an old libusb version, then ch341a
programmer should not be built in at all
    * We want to hold the patch for a moment
    * TODO : create ticket to move the discussion there, add a comment
to the patch 66436 , link the ticket >>
[https://ticket.coreboot.org/issues/409](https://ticket.coreboot.org/issues/409)
* Programmer param discussion
* Board enable for i2c
* [Joursoir] Flashrom CLI should have bash-completion (auto-complete
text with TAB key while typing a command). Task for new
contributors/next GSoC.
    * Useful for new users
    * Can be smaller project or larger project, can be broken into
several phases
    * Felix: Not supported by standard bash, needs one extra packet.
But most systems  have it anyway.
    * Joursoir: Might need a bit of planning, think how to structure
bash
    * We need to agree on what’s the end goals
    * Flashchips: too many of them, let’s not include it
    * Edward: Start as simple as possible, and then see how it goes.
    * Everyone: A very good idea
    * Joursoir (Alex) is a contact person for the project