Guide: https://www.flashrom.org/Board_Testing_HOWTO
My board: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/Z87-G41-PC-Mate/support

I'd been wrestling with trying to build the driver for afulnx (AMI's Linux
flashing utility) to no avail for a week. I'd looked at flashrom first, but
grep'ed the output of `flashrom -L` for my board model and it didn't come
back, so I thought I was out of luck.

Your guide saved the day! I have a really old PC/headless server that
started giving me issues, only booting successfully intermittently. I found
that its installed BIOS version (1.1) was delisted from MSI's website,
which isn't usually a good sign. The BIOS for the board has had several
upgrades since 1.1, and I was able to flash 1.7 using the careful approach
detailed in your guide, which resolved my issue.

Thanks again.