dek...@crater.com writes:

> Without the plotting, you only have access to the raw numbers in an
> XML file. You would need to be using similar tools on a regular basis
> to make it worth your while to setup some means of interpreting the
> data. I'd imagine these users would be the hardcore base group of
> flent users.

Well the idea was that you could have Flent installed on different
machines, one where you only run the experiments (and so don't need the
plots), and then move the files to another machine and open them with
Flent there.

I've upgraded python-matplotlib and python-qt4 from suggestions to
recommendations in the packaging files in git; that way people still
avoid having them installed by passing the --no-install-recommends
parameter to apt-get; but by default you'll get everything you need.

The change will propagate the next time I update the packaging.

> BTW, the scale chosen/used for the plotted throughput is difficult to
> interpret for low speed connections. Scale shown on the plot for me is
> 10^0 to 10^-1 Mbits/sec with no dots or dashes to indicate where on
> the vertical scale those points happen. . Now granted I can squint and
> imagine subdivisions, but again, for the average user, showing 100 -
> 700kbps with all the dashes for 200, 300, 400, etc would be easier to
> interpret... Ping times show more subdivisions so it is easier to
> interpret (but still no dashes/markers). Actually, I just found the
> option in Preferences to disable log scale... I'll add this as another
> suggestion to have it disabled by default... Again, the wider audience
> doesn't really understand exponents...

Yes, you're not the first one to suggest having log scale off by
default. In fact, there's an old issue for that:
https://github.com/tohojo/flent/issues/17

I've been postponing making the change because I wanted to change the
way settings were handled internally; which would, among other things,
make it possible to have separate --enable and --disable switches for
all boolean options. Will try to get around to it sometime.

At present, though, log scale is only enabled automatically if the
max value is more than 20 times the min value on a given plot. However,
it turns out that this happens more often that you'd think :)

-Toke