Pete Heist <p...@eventide.io> writes:

>> On May 6, 2018, at 5:54 PM, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <t...@toke.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Pete Heist <p...@eventide.io> writes:
>>
>>> Channel contention delay may be estimated by the difference between
>>> the round-trip times for the strict priority VO and BE packets (0x01
>>> and 0xb9), and queueing delay between the regular vs strict priority
>>> VO packets (0xb8 and 0xb9), right?
>>
>> I like the idea, but is there any equipment that actually implements
>> strict priority queueing within a single QoS level? Or how are you
>> planning to elicit this behavior?
>
> The backhaul I’d like to test it on uses mostly NSM5s as the wireless
> devices and APUs for routing, QoS, etc. The QoS scripts use the htb,
> sfq and prio qdiscs. I’m hoping I can just add a prio qdisc / tc
> filter somewhere in the existing rules.

Ah, so this is a wired connection? And you are only targeting a
particular setup? If you are running sfq you are probably not going to
measure a lot of queueing delay, though, as the UDP flow will just get
its own queue...

>>> Lastly, I’ll need to find out for sure how much impact the use of UDP
>>> with a userspace client/server (in Go) is having vs ICMP. I find it hard to
>>> believe that I’m seeing tens of
>>> milliseconds going into userspace.
>>
>> That does seem a bit much. Hard to tell what is the cause without a more
>> controlled experiment, though...
>
> Actually, I think it’s impossible that userspace overhead is the
> problem here. The irtt client and server devices are completely
> independent of the network routing/firewalling hardware, so the CPU
> load on them is identical at times of low and high network load.
>
> I now added SmokePing ICMP and IRTT targets for the same LAN host, and
> can look at that distribution after a day to judge the overhead.
>
> I guess it’s possible that ICMP may route faster over the Internet
>than UDP even if it isn’t being prioritized, but I would be surprised
>if that much faster. Not quite related, but I also find this
>interesting:
>
> https://perso.uclouvain.be/olivier.bonaventure/blog/html/2013/05/22/don_t_use_ping_for_delay_measurements.html

Yeah, ICMP is definitely treated differently in many places... Another
example is routers and switches that have a data plane implemented in
hardware will reply to ICMP from the software control plane, which is
way *slower* than regular forwarding... Also, ICMP is often subject to
rate limiting... etc, etc...

-Toke