(accidentally dropped the list, adding it back)

Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sat, Oct 27, 2018 at 5:33 AM Toke Høiland-Jørgensen <t...@toke.dk> wrote:
>>
>> Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > so I just upgraded to ubuntu 18.04 finally and tried to get flent running.
>> >
>> > flent's in toke's ppa... installs irtt and flent...
>>
>> It's also included in the distro proper for 18.04...
>
> Well, ubuntu-server does not enable the universe repo by default. So
> my process was being a dumb user and googling... first up was your
> ppa.

Ah, right. Well, the PPA should also work :)

>> > no netperf in their default repos
>> >    the multiverse/universe version is 2.6.
>> >
>> > netperf 2.7 won't build due to a missing makeinfo utility that's also
>> > in the universe repo
>>
>> I seem to recall trying (and failing) to get the Debian netperf
>> maintainer to update to 2.7...
>
> sigh.

I just bugged the netperf package maintainer again, and offered to take
over maintenance of the package...

>> > ubuntu "ping" now automagically will do ipv6. This confuses flent
>> > especially when your ipv6 is not actually working.
>>
>> Whaddyamean confuses?
>
> perhaps a check for ping -4 or ping -6 is now needed.

There already is one. What about it is not working? As usual, a debug
log output would be helpful...

>> > fping is not in their default repos, nor the multiverse repo. It is in
>> > the universe repo, however.
>> > running that version with rrul gives me...
>> >
>> > WARNING: Program exited non-zero.
>> > Runner class: PingRunner
>> > Command: /usr/bin/fping  -D -p 200 -c 350 -t 140000
>> > flent-newark.bufferbloat.net
>> > Return code: -15
>> > Stdout:
>> > Stderr: /usr/bin/fping: warning: timeout (-t) value larger than period
>> > (-p) produces unexpected results
>> >
>> > WARNING: Command produced no valid data.
>> >
>> > so no ping.
>>
>> Hmm, there is code to detect and avoid this situation, but guess it's
>> not working...
>
> 200*350 = 70000. I guess fping now enforces that.

Nah, it's just a warning. Discussion here:
https://github.com/schweikert/fping/issues/32

The reason you're getting no data is something else... Can you actually
ping that host?

>> > Anyway, after all that
>> > apt-get install python3-matplotlib python3-pyqt5
>> >
>> > aside from poking into what broke with fping, got me a working flent
>> > on this release.
>> >
>> > I think a "flent-gui" package would help the universe a little.
>
> still I like flent-gui....

Well, patches to the debian packaging scripts are welcome ;)

Though if you open a github issue for it, I may get around to it the
next time I feel like dealing with those...

-Toke