> On Jan 11, 2019, at 5:00 PM, Dave Taht <dave.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I just turned it on again (I think it had crashed).

Interesting, afaik I don’t think there’s a code path by which you wouldn’t get
an error message in case of a socket or related error, and malformed packets
should just result in drop and log. A native crash, I’m not sure what you’d
see, but I’ve never seen that after dozens of testing hours. I’d _love_ to know
what happened.

It might be worth compiling from HEAD using Go 1.11.4, in case there was some
compiler or runtime bug with whatever it was compiled with.

> I would like to enable irtt fully across the flent network, and with
> liberal defaults (longer tests, shorter intervals). Can you suggest a
> useful set of defaults to use?

Maybe just:
irtt server -i 1ms

plus whatever bind option is needed. Unlimited length tests and packet sizes
are the default, and less than 1ms isn’t likely to be useful on the open
Internet, I suppose?

> Another option is to make several versions available on different port
> numbers with different default dscp markings. I'd get a kick out of
> being to test udp-lite, as another example.

DSCP marking can currently only be selected by the client, and the server can
disallow that if it wants. It could be possible as a new flag to set a default
on the server, which is passed to the client during its opening handshake. I
think I could do that without a protocol version bump. Feature request?