On Thu, 7 Apr 2005, Dan wrote:

> Problem:
>
> The system does not provide effectively for incremental backups, and in
> any case that would require sensible tape management.  I want a full
> nightly backup on a new tape each night.  However, the data set is too
> large for the tape, and restoring can be complex.

I don't know how much it will help, but you could take a look at spantape
- might not be too hard to fit underneath flexbackup:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/spantape/

spantape is a replacement for dd that features the ability to sequentially
span a stream of bytes across multiple SCSI tapes. It supports both fixed
and variable block sizes and assures the correct order of tapes during
data recovery.

Sebastian Zagrodzki

--
Charlie