Its a bit hackish, but you could try something like this:

function openTree(t:mx.controls.Tree):Number {
var i:Number=0;
var node:mx.controls.treeclasses.TreeNode=t.getTreeNodeAt(i);
while (node != undefined){
if (t.getIsBranch(node) && ! t.getIsOpen(node)){
t.setIsOpen(node,true);
}
i++;
node=t.getNodeDisplayedAt(i);
}
return i;
}

This will open all the nodes, and return the total number of nodes throughout the tree. You'd have to work it a bit more to do this and not open them all.