Is it just me, or are custom control (actionscript) components really really difficult to get your head around?

I am struggling with just about every aspect of creating custom controls, from deciding what to extend, through sizing/layout, right down to event handling.

I have created some custom controls but they have never turned out to be what I really wanted.

There is a real lack of documentation about this subject. I've read the Flex Components PDF, and I've read the relevant parts of Developing Flex Apps, but none of these really covers creating components in actionscript from scratch through to more advanced components at reasonable steps. Some of the more basic examples that are given require you to draw a circle in Flash first - I don't want to (and I know I shouldn't) have to use Flash to create a basic custom component.

I would like a more in-depth discussion of what the various sizes are - _measuredXXX, preferredXXX, defaultXXX properties etc
A clearer explanation of the instantiation and display order/process.
Perhaps a breakdown of some existing components that have both been built from scratch and has extended other components.

Anyone else finding this topic hard going like me?

Kind Regards,

Simon Fifield

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here