From: Ben Elmore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, March 31, 2005 2:17 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [flexcoders] Cairngorm Question.

The way Cairngorm current architects the ViewHelper is that it requires each ViewHelper to register itself to the ViewLocator under a unique name. Therefore if you are attaching the view dynamically in a repeater and using the same value in the 'name' attribute for the ViewHelpers then the ViewLoactor will throw an error.

One approach to your solution is to have the each of your views bubble up its methods to the parent view that the repeater exists in.

For example (in code babble).

MyMainView.mxml

<mx:script>
    public activeChild : MovieClip = null;

    function parentHandleMethod(evt)
    {
        // store current child view to local var
        activeChild = evt.target'

         // do server call

    }
</ms:script
<mx:repeater>
    <me:mychildView >
</mx:repeater>

MyChildView.mxml

<mx:Metadata>
    [Event("onCustomEvent1")]
    [Event("onCustomEvent2")]
</mx:Metadata>

<mx:Button click="this.dispatchEvent({type='onCustomEvent1', otherAttributes=''})">

In this example instead of having the child view handle the logic itself (communicating to the server) it tells the parent too. Or more correctly says 'someone please do this for me' the parent will know which of the child views to get the data from since the dispatch event automatically keeps track of the target in which the event was dispatch from.

This is just a suggestion. There are other options out there, perhaps better or more correct then this approach.

Ben