Steven,

Thanks for the reply.  I realise my question wasn't quite clear - I
wanted to access objects in the request object on the client.  Or more
specifically, pass a complex object that is available to the JSP into
the Flex app.

This page was what I was after...
http://livedocs.macromedia.com/flex/15/flex_docs_en/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/wwhelp.htm?href=00002253.htm
But it seems that I am limited to passing simple strings.  So to use
complex data for the flex app to initialize I need to call a remote
service (RemoteObject, HTTP, Webservice), yes?

Dan