Title: Debugging Flex Proxy
Hi Ronald, that's strange.  We've done load testing here and haven't run across such an error before.  I'm not sure how to help you debug it, but I can suggest a setting to change: max-connections.  This is located in flex-config.xml in two places, and I would change both of them.  Try setting to 0, which will turn off pooling and slow down your proxy requests but which will cause the code to not wait in the section shown below.  You could also try setting it to a value much higher than the default of 50, but suspect that won't fix the problem.  -Brian

From: Ronald Kinion [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 11:00 PM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] Debugging Flex Proxy

Every now and then on our production boxes we have a problem where the application starts taking longer and longer to respond and all the threads get used up on our servers (using jboss 3.2.3).  If I do a thread dump I see a very large number of stack traces similar to this:

        at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.doGetConnection
(MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.java:46
1)
        - locked <0xcc232f40> (a
org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager$ConnectionPool)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.getConnection(M
ultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager.java:365)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:613)
        at
org.apache.commons.httpclient.HttpClient.executeMethod(HttpClient.java:497)
        at flex.server.j2ee.proxy.ProxyServlet.service(ProxyServlet.java:766)
        at flex.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(BootstrapServlet.java:69)
[truncated the rest]

I'm thinking that there is some url being called in our flex app that is hanging/locking and the threads are hanging around waiting for a response or to get unlocked.  Is there anyway to tell what url/http-request the flex proxy is waiting on?  Currently I'm only able to get log output for when the http-request is completed; I suppose I want the opposite of this, some log output for when a http-request is started.

we have tried in the past to completely turn off the flex proxy (in the flex-config.xml file) but then we got weird problems where IE browsers would cache some or all of our requests for xml data and would absolutely not refresh we had to turn the proxy back on.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

--
Ronald Kinion
Senior Web Developer, MIS