David,

The rendering of this grid takes over 20 seconds on a 20 (rows) and
30 columns.  Yes we have a custom cell renderer which has two images
and 3 labels.  We have disabled live scrolling, however as indicated
it takes approx 20 seconds to render this grid.  I suspect that it
will take considerably longer on a client machine.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- viraf

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, David George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Viraf -
>
> When you say "each cell in the grid contains 4 other objects that
are
> displayed", it sounds like you are using a custom cell renderer.
Is
> that right?
>
> Unfortunately, large DataGrids with custom cell renderers are a
known
> performance issue.  I'm afraid I can't completely solve your
problem
> on Flex v1.5.  You might want to turn off live scrolling, so that
the
> DataGrid doesn't attempt to constantly update while the user is
> dragging the slider thumb.
>
> We've already spoken publicly about the performance improvements
> coming in Flash Player 8, so it should be no surprise that
performance
> is a major focus of Flex v2.0.
>
> Viraf - would you be willing to send us a copy of your app, so
that we
> can use it as a performance test case for the next release?  Or ...
> even better ... could you create a simple version of your app that
> just contains the poorly-performing DataGrid?  If so, please send
it
> directly to me at my work address - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Other folks on the list - this is an open invitation to send along
> your performance test cases too!  We ordinarily discourage people
from
> contacting employees off-list, but I'll make an exception in this
> case.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> On 4/13/05, viraf_bankwalla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >  I have a DataGrid with approximately 20 rows and 10 columns.
Each
> >  cell in the grid contains 4 other objects that are displayed.
When
> >  scrolling vertically the performance is poor at best.  What can
I do
> >  to improve the performance?
> >
> >  I am reading the articly on Macromedia's site - however my
effectStart
> >  and effectEnd eventHandlers are not being invoked.  I set them
on a
> >  HBox that contains the grids.
> >
> >  Thanks.
> >
> >  - viraf