Below is an explanation of "sites" from an MM authority.  The upshot is
you want to have one site that corresponds to your Flex server.  I have
no experience with remote server setups.

*******
If you have nested sites, then sometimes Flex Builder will have trouble
figuring out which site a particular file corresponds to. We need this
information to make sure we use the correct url prefix and testing
server location when previewing or debugging the file. Each site should
correspond to one context root on your server. The default installation
of Flex has one context root which is just "/". So even if you have
separate applications under that context root (one in the flex folder,
one in the samples folder, etc.) you should still only have one FB site
set up that points to the root of the context root. You would have to
just work on each sub-application by opening it from its subfolder in
the one site you have set up.

If you have multiple context roots defined, for example if you had flex/
as a context root and samples/ as a separate context root, then you
should have one site for each of these because they will have separate
URL prefixes. In this case, even if they both live in the same folder
you do not need a site set up for their parent folder.

I hope this clears things up a bit. To answer your questions about why
it sometimes puts files in the wrong location because of how your sites
are set up, it's probably because you have a different "current" site
set in your Files panel than the site which your open document belongs
to.

Let me know if you have any more questions...

-Heidi