Open for Business (www.ofbiz.org) is another backend framework that we
use with Flex.  It is a nice framework for creating enterprise
applications because it includes what I call a full "application
stack".  This stack includes an entity engine, workflow engine,
service engine, and presentation tier.  For our applications we
replace the presentation tier with Flex and everything else work
great.

Brett