I'm having problems figuring out how to pass variables using getURL.
The documentation that I can find seems to indicate that any random
variable that you declare that's in some (unspecified) scope, will be
appended (for GET) or passed (for POST) as parameters along with the URL.

So I have tried setting some typed local variables and invoking
getURL; no luck.  No luck with either POST or GET.

What's the magic?  Do the variables have to be in the top level
application?  Do they have to be global within the the containing
class?   Does this functionality even work at all?