Hey Dave,

Lots to discuss here. There are compile time considerations and runtime
considerations.

Firstly, from the AMF trace that you posted I see several things worth
mentioning:

1. The "MethodName" is listed as "usersService.loginUser" which implies
the service name was "usersService" and the function invoked was
"loginUser". This will mean CFMX will need to understand what
"usersService" means (see later).

2. A Flex-specific RemoteObject envelope is being sent to a CFC - this
is not supported. The idea of a "stateless-class" or "stateful-class" is
a Flex-only consideration for the Java adapters. You have either
specified this directly as a "type" attribute to your <mx:RemoteObject>
tag or perhaps registered it in the entry for the named service in
flex-config.xml's remote-objects whitelist. It should be removed in any
event.

3. The Status error returned suggests a strange location for your
"usersService" CFC. While the CFC has to be available under the webroot,
the service name for the CFC should not include the webroot directory in
its name. (This error also suggests that your <mx:RemoteObject> tag was
using named services... more on this below).

Next, I have some questions.

You're running Flex 1.5 and CFMX 7 right?

Did you combine the two J2EE web applications of Flex and CFMX or have
you left them separate? Or are you planning on compiling the MXML
application offline using mxmlc (requires a Flex license) and then
simply deploying the resulting SWF to a CFMX 7 web app that contains
your CFC based service?

In any event, there are two configuration considerations.

1. The MXML compiler validates named <mx:RemoteObject> services at
compile time. This validation requires a correctly configured
flex-config.xml file containing your named object entry in the
remote-objects whitelist. We understand this isn't exactly helpful for
he non-local deployment of RemoteObject services and have already
received complaints, but this is how Flex 1.5 works so it's something
you'll need to consider for now. (Note that the validation was added to
help the developer catch typos in service names at compile time...)

2. The CFMX 7 version of the Flash Remoting gateway is (almost)
identical to the Flex 1.5 version. It now has a configuration file and
the concept of a whitelist. It is for these reasons that you must now
consider CFMX's flex-config.xml file as you MUST register a named
service for your CFC to support your RemoteObject request. The whitelist
is there to stop arbitrary requests to services.

As for Cairngorm considerations, I can't comment on those but this list
seems very capable of helping out in that regard.

Pete