Benjamin Dobler wrote:
> Does anyone remember when the word RIA (Rich Internet Application) first
> appeared. Who invented the term? I think it was someone at MM but i
 > can`t remember.

As Jesse noted, the first use of that acronym appeared to be in this
500K PDF from Macromedia in March 2002:
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flash/whitepapers/richclient.pdf

A year or two back I tried to confirm this through the
recall.archive.org engine (since deceased), which did textual analysis
of the archive.org content, and it did confirm that this Macromedia
document was the first usage of that "RIA" term. I can't prove that no
one ever used that phrase before, but I've never seen any evidence to
counter its original definition being by Macromedia staff.

I got tired of regularly finding an dopening that PDF then clicking
through pages, so I copied the guts of it over here:
http://www.markme.com/jd/archives/007312.cfm

Paraphrasing and summarizing that "crucial aspects of rich client
technologies" section, these were defined as:
(a) use of a high-performance runtime for code, content and communications;
(b) integration of media types (video in the same window, eg);
(c) a common object model for these multimedia services;
(d) ability to use and add components, for development efficiency;
(e) XML data communications with servers;
(f) online/offline transparency (we're all still working on that one!);
(g) friendly to various browsers, operating systems, devices... there's
explicit mention of "beyond the desktop" non-PC work here.

The term "RIA" has been bandied about in much of the AJaX hullaballoo,
but I'm not sure any current JavaScript examples actually meet the above
criteria -- modern JavaScript techniques have recently added ongoing XML
transfers with the server, but they don't seem in the same ballpark on
the "rich" aspect of that popular "RIA" moniker.

jd

--
John Dowdell . Macromedia Developer Support . San Francisco CA USA
Weblog: http://www.macromedia.com/go/blog_jd