From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Laurent Bois
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:44 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] UI internationalization

Hello,

Newbie question (I began using Flex 2 weeks ago)

Initially i'm a Java developer, focused this last 3 years in J2EE
application using MVC frameworks (Struts, Spring, etc...)
I'm experienced, before 98 with C/S applications,.

My question is about the best way to  apply values to prompts, titles,
... in an "internationalized" Flex UI.

If we exclude the use of JSP (including the MXML source using Flex
Taglib) in which we can get in Java all key/values from a
MessageResources file, and set the Label values with Java scriptlets
inside the Flex component tags. Doing this has an impact i suppose , for

the first load , for each language ( compilation ).

Options i thought of  :
Having a "generic" Flex UI : when the client access it, UI is loading ,
then a first request is sent to the server to get all the necessary
informations to configure the UI  (including translated values for the
prompts, titles,... in the user's preferred language for example)  : in
this case, when setting values to titles or labels , should this be done

only by ActionScripting, or could we apply data-binding (that could help

to reduce  the volume of code & simplify maintenance)

Could we develop a single UI, using tokens as label, title,.. values
(@@mylabel@@ for example).
Then, with the help of Ant (or Maven) , the generic mxml source , and
properties files (one per language), generate one mxml file per language

( precompile and deploy as is).
Choosing language in a HTML page (homepage)  to be able to re-route the
user to the 'translated' corresponding SWF file.

Thanks for your advice.

Laurent

NOTA: we should support Hebrew, Chinese, French, English, German, Dutch
languages.