Hi,

Macromedia Flex is a presentation server or layer and final output(.swf)
runs in Macromedia Flash Player on client side. It means, Flex/Flash
applications communicate to database via a middle-ware or server-side
script.

Flex can communicate with backend in following ways:

1) HTTPService (HTTP POST/GET method)
2) WebServices
4) RemoteObject (Macromedia Flash Remoting, uses AMF a binary format).

The higher level ideas is to communicate with a server-side
script/program and that server-side script connects to DB gets data and
returns to Flex client...

Since you are using ColdFusion Server, you can take advantage of all of
above methods. IMO, RemoteObject is the best option among them. I can't
write about all steps of doing things, but I can give you ideas so that
you can look into documentation and find your way...

On server-side, you can write Coldfusion Component (CFC) or ColdFusion
Page (.CFM) and Cold WebService to connect to database and get the data.
Flex can connect to either of these using RemoteObject, HTTPService and
WebService tags of Flex respectively.

I will suggest you to look at Coldfusion documentation on writing
CFC/CFM and connecting to databases. And look for
RemoteObject/HTTPService/WebService in Flex documentation...

Believe me, it is very easy to get data in Flex once you understand some
fundamentals...

I hope above brief description on different things give you enough
keywords to search in docs :)

-abdul