Never mind, I just had to keep the index of top level node in my leaf
node. Then when the user clicked on the leaf node in other list I had
to call
tree.expandItem(tree.dataProvider.getItemAt([EMAIL PROTECTED]), true);

This ensured that the node's parent was expanded and I could get the
parent by calling tree.getParentItem(node).

Regards,
Gaurav