Ok, I've learned a little more. When you re-enable auto updates,
ListCollectionView.handlePendingUpdates() is called. This function
optimizes row-update operations, combining them into a single event,
but row-add operations get handled one by one. So the adds are no
more efficient with auto-updates disabled than enabled.

Is there any way to refresh the entire list, and prevent the update
queue from being flushed? I tried calling refresh() before
enableAutoUpdates(), but it actually prevents the update from
happening at all. Rows only get added in the visible area -- no
scrollbar is created until I collapse and expand the parent node.