I would choose the class hierachy approach. Write your own classes for
relationships,
people etc.

The pros of this approach:
* You do not depend on a datasource: it does not matter where the data comes
from
((different) XML sources, remoting [,...]).
* You have strong typed objects and you can embed your own events and errors.
This
means (unit-) testing becomes more effective.

The cons:
* You have to implement a parser.

Best regards from Germany.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, Boon Chew <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am building an app that deals with a fair bit of people relationship data
> coming down
as XML, so the hierarchical nature of XML actually comes in handy here.  I have
a few
appropriate data structure for hierarchical data traversal (e.g. rooted tree).
Another option
is to keep everything in memory as XML and accessed the node data via E4X.  The
third
option is to take a hybrid approach, won't consider this route right now unless
this
appears to be the best.

> My concern is that instantiating thousands of objects will create a
> performance issue
(happened at another project that dealt with thousands of dto's), not to
mention it's very
slow to instantiate lots of objects.  At the same time, I am not sure how fast
E4X is at
dealing with large XML.

> Which approach would you take? Which one is likely to scale better? Large
> in-memory
XML + E4X traversal or data structure with lots of objects + algorthmic tree
traversal?