My guess is that you have something like this...

<mx:Application xmlns:mx="http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml";>
 <mx:Canvas id="canvas">
  <mx:LinkButton id="aboutMeLink">
 </mx:Canvas>
</mx:Application>

If that's the case, the aboutMeLink is a child of canvas and you'll
need to call canvas.removeChild(aboutMeLink);

If you just want the LinkButton to not take up space you can set its
includeInLayout property to false.